Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Thursday 7 January 2010

Thursday 7th January: The darkness


So, there I was, typing away on my laptop, when all the lights went out.

Up until that point, I didn't hear any noises, I didn't have palpitations and I certainly didn't think there was anyone upstairs.

Fear of the dark, or nyctophobia, is more common in children, for obvious reasons. It's actually not the absence of light that makes children scared, rather the fear of impending doom and imagined dangers that darkness brings.

Freud would argue that a fear of darkness is a manifestation of separation anxiety.

Screw that. I'm an adult and I'm shit scared! I do have an active imagination, but I'm totally reasonable (him indoors may disagree) and can keep my head in a crisis.

But if you'd asked me to go upstairs, I'd tell you where to go: there's a man up there with a knife for God's sake!

Twinkle, twinkle and the lights come back on. All is well with the world.

Same house, same me.

And the man upstairs?

Don't be so ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment