Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Monday 18 January 2010

Saturday 16th January: Dad's 70th party

Growing up I was incredibly close to my cousins. Every Sunday we would drive to my Gran and Granddad's bungalow and we would spend the afternoon with my Mum's two sisters, their husbands and their two girls. There were six of us in total, and my brother was the only boy, poor thing.

We would always take a sponge, which I hated, unless it was chocolate. It was usually a plain sponge and I would always be in charge of making the coffee icing filling. I remember getting the coffee, pouring on a bit of boiling water to melt it, and then add the icing gradually. I can even smell it now as I recall the arm ache it caused as I stirred and stirred to create the paste.

So today it was quite surreal to see things have moved on a generation. Now my cousins have their own children, who were running around the house screaming, just like we used to do.

We hardly get together at all now, so it was great that we had my Dad's birthday as an opportunity to see each other again.

Now, instead of us enthusiastically helping to blow out the candles, it was 'the little ones' puffing their cheeks.

Oh, and Dad too - he was just as much a kid as they were, and the sponge tasted great :)

Happy birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment