Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Saturday 23 January 2010

Saturday 23rd January: Avatar

I could put it off no longer, this afternoon we finally went to see Avatar. I can't say I was brimming with excitement over the actual film, more the popcorn, I tend to go off things the more hype they have, and the fact that it wasn't going to be a 'realistic' film made me want to see it even less.

I was pleasantly surprised, and towards the end of the two and a half hours, I was coming to the conclusion that, while it had its faults (patronising, patchy and political pap), it would probably be one of my favourite films of the year.

And then the last minute happened, which prompted me to 'fail' it on twitter (I can't find the hashtag on my mac!).

Towards the end of the film I was expecting a heartbreaking moment as Jake would have to say goodbye to the Na'vi, and his 'wife' Neytiri, and return to a full-time, wheelchair-bound, human life." Because that's life isn't it?

Apparently not. I'm probably alone in saying this as everyone else seems to be banging on how great the film is, and yes, visually it's stunning, but for me, it was great for 160 out of the 161 minutes. Had Jake returned to his former life and let the Na'vi get on with theirs, it would have been so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment