Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Thursday 11 February 2010

Wednesday 10th February: The unwelcome Church mat

Spanish cathedrals, the ones I've seen at least, are so magnificent in their dominance of the area in which they stand. But what annoys me is that you just can't take it all in. Over the years they've had so many other buildings placed beside them that you're constantly craning your neck upwards to look at it. You get no real idea of its size or its splendour because as soon as you start to step back to take it all in, you slam into another building.

At least our cathedrals in the UK (I'm thinking Wells and Salisbury here) can be seen both from afar, and once your next to them, you can walk back 500m or so and take them all in. That's how it should be.

But the one thing common among all cathedrals and churches across the world, for me, is that they are so unwelcoming! They're freezing cold, the iconography consists of death, treachery or just plain morbidness. No wonder our generation aren't bothered by the church, why would you possibly want to spend any time in one when they make you feel so miserable?!

No comments:

Post a Comment