Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Sunday 21 February 2010

Saturday 20th February: Winter Olympic gold!

Woke up this morning to learn that Amy Williams, who overnight was leading the women's skeleton at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, had won the gold medal.

Williams is Britain's first individual champion since figure skater Robin Cousins won gold in 1980.

Such is the state of our (or maybe just mine?) opinion of British sport, I was convinced she wouldn't win. Either she'd have an accident or a run that didn't go well, either way, the very fact that she's British meant there was a very distinct possibility that she wouldn't win.

I'm happy to have been proved wrong, but it still hasn't changed my perception of British sport: we're often in the mix, and even leading at times, but always when it comes down to it, we crumble.

Amy is obviously made of sterner stuff, I might just go and check she is actually British ...

No comments:

Post a Comment