Welcome

This is my attempt to publish a picture a day in 2010, and occasionally add my musings. I can't promise it'll be interesting, but it serves the purpose of recording my memories for every day of the year.

Sunday 20 December 2009

Sunday 20th December: All about 'My picture of the day 2010'


Towards the end of every year I look ahead to the next and have a think about what I want to achieve. While this includes my professional life, it is mainly geared towards my personal life and how I want to spend my free time. Often it results in a course (I'm a renowned course taker among my friends: Spanish, private detective, massage …), but for 2010 the one thing that has inspired me are my memories.

Recently my mum and dad brought up a box of my things from their house. Every time they visit they sneak in a box as they try and get rid of mine and my brother's 'crap'.

As I opened the box and got a waft of dusty oldness, I saw a pile of notebooks that had been taped up. Two, non-taped notebooks gave away the contents - old diaries. Peeling back the cripsy, damp-ridden pages, I read about my life as a teenager and recalled all those boy crushes and petty fights with friends. I'd forgotten most of them and it was wonderful to journey back to that time and live it again.

Since school I've dabbled in diaries: my 10 months in Canada after uni in 1999/2000 was reason enough to keep one, but since then it's been something I've started, but never continued. I know a lot about every January each year, but after February, nothing.

So, when the snow dumped this week, December 2009, I got to thinking (yes, I've always longed to be columnist Carrie Bradshaw), wouldn't it be great if I documented my life in 2010 with a picture a day, so I've got those memories forever, or at least until the next big thing replaces the internet and I lose it all!

I still adore paper and books and their feel and smell, so I will also print my daily picture and stick it in a notebook, but living in the time of blogs and social networks, I thought I should share what I'm doing, and maybe inspire someone else to set up a blog and use it how they want to.

If you have any comments, or your own picture of the day you'd like to share, let me know. I'm kicking this off in 2009 (hell, I need the next couple of weeks to set this up and get it right!), but officially it starts 1 January 2010.

And today's picture? Me with my mum and dad, as they were the ones who inspired me to do this when they brought up my box - thank you!

Here's to an inspirational 2010 to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment